Littlefield Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) developed from a "Sabbath School," which was first organized in January of 1929 at a store front on West Warren Avenue. From this rather humble beginning, Littlefield has continued in strong commitment to Jesus Christ and to the proclamation of the Gospel.
In October of 1929, the Reverend Samuel C. Weir was appointed Stated Supply Minister. The congregation was organized on January 5, 1930, with a charter membership of 95. The worship services were held at McDonald School. Ten years later, the congregation moved to its present location on Littlefield Boulevard; the sanctuary was dedicated on February 11, 1940.
In May of 1953, Dr. Weir was elected Moderator of the General Assembly of the United Presbyterian Church in North America. In May, 1960, Dr. Weir tendered his resignation in order to be free to accept a call as Executive of the Synod of Michigan, effective September 1, 1960.
The Reverend Harry L. Geissinger was called to serve Littlefield Church as its pastor and began his duties on February 1, 1961. In 1978, Dr. Geissinger served as Moderator of the Presbytery of Detroit. Dr. Geissinger served as pastor until his retirement in 1984.
Dr. William G. Gepford accepted a call as Director of Arab/American Relations and began serving Littlefield Church and the Arab community of Dearborn in October of 1979. In 1986, the Presbytery of Detroit called Dr. Gepford to a staff position as Director of Interfaith Ministries. He continued to serve Littlefield as a parish associate. In 1992, Rev. Gepford retired, but continues to serve on a part-time basis.
The Reverend Delmar L. Meester was called to serve as pastor and began his duties on October 15, 1985. He is a gifted musician and he enhanced Littlefield's music program. In 1994, Rev. Meester resigned as pastor to pursue a new vocation.
After interim pastors Rev. Carol Wood and Rev. Doug Carter each lead the Littlefield congregation, the Reverend Fran Hayes began serving as pastor in May, 1997. She was installed as Littlefield's fourth installed pastor in September, 1997. Reverend Hayes served as Moderator of the Presbytery of Detroit in 2006.
Littlefield Church has always focused on people. The church has drawn great strength from the dependence of its members on one another and from their active participation within the church, the Presbytery of Detroit, Women of the Presbytery of Detroit, the Synod of the Covenant, the General Assembly, and in the community.
Littlefield Church was chosen by the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) to be a recipient of the 1991 Ecumenical Service Recognition Award. The award was presented at the June, 1991, meeting of the General Assembly in Baltimore, Maryland, and was given in recognition of the many ecumenical projects in which Littlefield is involved, such as English as a second language, Headstart, and Interfaith Thanksgiving services.
As we move to the future, our commitment to Jesus Christ continues to grow because of the importance placed on worship, prayer, Bible study, theological discussion and Christian fellowship.
Pastor Emeritus Rev. Harry Geissinger passed away on February 18, 2012. Read more about his life and ministry here.